Monday, June 29, 2015

Final Thoughts before I BOLT.

I'll be honest: I wasn't excited about taking this course. Not because of the material, etc,. but because it was just one more thing to do during a summer that was quickly disappearing! 
But boy, am I glad I did. Here's a couple things I learned:
1. I can start--now--incorporating more online material into my existing F2F courses (in fact, I already have!)
2. If I teach an online course one day, I now have some really effective tools to help make it less onliney and more personal. Also, seeing Dave model some fun, goofy, but always effective behavior, was great. My only experience with online studies prior to this was pretty dull and boring. Thanks Dave!
3. Through our readings, other blog posts, etc., I was challenged to improve my F2F courses. That, indeed, was an unexpected bonus from taking BOLT. I'm eager for classes to begin in late August because I've got some new ideas I'm eager to try out.
4. The emphasis in creating a streamlined, organized course with easy-to-find materials online forced me to go through my F2F courses and do the same thing. I tossed some things out, added some new things, and reorganized some items. 
Oveall, I'm so glad I took this course. I'd highly recommend it to all our faculty--even if they have no intention of ever teaching a fully online course.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the feedback, Mark! I'm glad you found such valuable take-aways from our work together. (And I'm glad you found the goofiness to still be on point. I like to think there is a method to my madness...) :-)

    I hope you'll spread the word--I'm hoping to have another cohort in the fall!

    ReplyDelete